Madison, WI 53703
Hours of Operation
Great Dane Downtown
The original Great Dane Pub is located in the 140-year-old “Fess Hotel” building listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Opened in 1994, the unique space features a 10 barrel brewhouse, a stone-walled Rathskellar, semi-private dining area, and billiards lounge, along with a quaint and relaxing courtyard beer garden that receives accolades again and again for Best Outdoor Dining awards in Madison.
The combination of historic ambiance, award-winning beer, crowd-pleasing food and caring, attentive service, has made the downtown Great Dane Pub Madison’s most award-winning restaurant and brewery. We hope you'll visit us often to see and taste what's new.
Subj: A note from our president about COVID-19
Dear Valued Great Dane Guests,
As coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread, I want to personally communicate that The Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company pledges to be a conscious community member and put the health of our staff and guests above any financial considerations.
The effort to slow the spread of the virus will call for sacrifices from everyone. At this time, the Great Dane is adopting best practices to keep our Pubs as safe and as enjoyable as possible.
What we’re doing
While our hygiene standards have and always will remain high, we’re emphasizing and retraining employees in several areas that include:
- Discarding paper menus after one use
- Seating customers farther apart, leaving tables vacant between guests
- Use of single-serve condiments/single-use condiments upon request
- All cardboard drink coasters removed from pubs
- Proper handwashing and increased frequency
- Regular/frequent cleaning of common areas and surfaces
- Increased testing of sanitation and dishwashing equipment
- Increase in available hand sanitizer and wipes
- What you can do
I certainly understand some of our customers may prefer to avoid social contact at this time. For that reason:
- All Madison-area Great Dane locations offer delivery from EatStreet if you prefer to have your food delivered.
- Carryout remains available.
In the coming days and weeks, we may have to halt in-store dining and pivot to take-out and delivery modes of business only, or even temporarily shut down one or more of our Pubs. The best way to keep track of what is happening at your favorite Great Dane is to check our website or a particular Pub’s Facebook page.
I thank you for your patronage of the Great Dane and for your understanding of the CRITICAL need to slow the spread of the virus so that we do not overwhelm our local health care system. I look forward to celebrating our communal revival when we are on the other end of this unprecedented challenge.
Cheers and Prayers,
President, Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company